Saturday, November 16, 2013

What Happens With Christian Maturity?

Really, the title serves as a rhetorical question.  Obviously, lots of things happen.  But, I want to explain my personal concern about myself in Christian maturity, how it relates to the Pharisees and where I believe I should make a concerted effort to actually have some characteristics of my immature self back into my thinking.

In my youth, I knew God. I spent time with Him regularly.  I, also, grew up with a mother who had many strengths and many weaknesses, (as most of us have).  My favorite strength of hers was her quick willingness to forgiveness.  Now, forgiveness of heart is very different from boundaries.  One may put distance between them self and a person who is hurting them, but not have any bitterness in their heart.  My mother was always loving and generous with people in so many ways.  I love that about my memories of her.  Her forgiveness was demonstrated by her kind spirit.

In short, I am talking about grace.

When I was young, I, too, had a lot of grace. I, also, carried on reckless of God's commandments taking too much advantage of God's grace.  Not because I had any evil ambitions.  I desired love and friendship above all and it led me down paths of unrighteousness.

But, God served me with overflowing grace.  Through it all, he did not withhold his presence.  In addition, he did not withhold answers to prayer.  I still knew God.

Fast forward to a gradual realization of how much God despises sin and transforming my life to one being lived more closely inline with one God would intend.  Growing in Christian maturity, I started to understand that accepting Christ's forgiveness should provoke feelings of gratitude.  That gratitude would naturally stir a desire to respond to God's generosity. This leads to a life that follows the example and commands of Christ.

 But, something got lost in the transformation of thinking.  I became, in some ways, a little bit more of a Pharisee.  It was not my choice.  It was not intentional.  But, somehow, I thought more highly of myself because I was living a more Godly lifestyle.

This is where honest and true Christianity needs change because God requires us to be lowly in spirit to see divine revelation.  One evidence of this is how Jesus Christ was able to reveal Himself to the common man but not the holy people of His time.


Matthew 11:25-26 (ESV) 25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.


Isaiah 57:15 (ESV)

15 For thus says the One who is high and lifted up,
    who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
“I dwell in the high and holy place,
    and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly,
    and to revive the heart of the contrite.

Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. Psalm 119:18 NIV

No comments: