Sunday, December 30, 2012

Time With God


Lately, I have been feeling pushes to find ways to incorporate time with God into all the different parts of my day.  I am reminded of Psalm 119:11, "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."  And, I feel encouraged.  Last night, my son asked how I knew that I would go to heaven when I died.  I told him of my deep beliefs.  The subject got changed to the snowplows on the road.  Then, a minute later, I said, "John 3:16"....perhaps the only bible verse Kurt has committed to memory.  He paused, and I knew he was saying the verse in his head and he said, "yeeaaah". My soul felt very well.

Scripture Union is a great source of encouragement to bible reading.  Currently, they are putting out a series to help followers of Jesus to get on track with their New Years resolutions.  Here is todays help:

Give Distractions to God

It’s a noisy world out there! Even the most disciplined Bible reader faces plenty of distractions: unexpected phone calls, family interruptions and pet emergencies. And sometimes, the biggest distractions come from within: our fears, frustrations, temptations and worries. Unfortunately you can’t always control or avoid these distractions. So when they come, use them for good!
Incorporate distractions into your time with God. If young children interrupt, invite them up on your lap and read the Bible together. If the phone rings, pray for the caller after you hang up. If your thoughts wander to your worries and concerns, give those thoughts to the Lord in prayer. Don’t get too frustrated by the distractions. They may be the very things God wants you to pray about.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Wonderful post. Very timely, too. I find it helps as I'm reading the Word and devotional to have a journal right on my lap. Writing out prayer requests and praise, confessing things to the Lord and sometimes writing them too (although it does depend on what it is!) and then if the Lord speaks to my heart through the Word or just a thought it's helpful to write it out and date it. I'm amazed as I go back and read that I can see how God truly has spoken to me and guided me through my day or week. Blessings to you as you start out the new year!